Level 2 Social Distancing Measures Effective from Nov 24
When you are on campus, wear a facemask at all times when indoors and also outdoors when it involves high-risk activities.
Group events that hold more than 100 persons are prohibited. When onboard at transportation vehicles, you cannot eat food.

Other immigration issue

If you intend to stay in Korea for more than 90 days, you need to obtain an Alien Registration Card (ARC) from the Seoul Immigration Office. The alien registration number will act as your identification during your stay in Korea.

Please make an appointment with the Seoul Immigration Office (http://hikorea.go.kr)  before your visit.

Required Documents
  • Application form
  • Passport (original and copy, including the page where the visa is printed)
  • A passport sized photo (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm, taken against a white background)
  • Fee: KRW 30,000
  • Certificate of Enrollment (재학증명서) (for D-2 visa holders) from student’s College or department / Research Student Confirmation Form (for D-2-5 students) / Certificate of Employment (for faculty)
  • Proof of Residency
- If you live 'off-campus', you need to submit your lease contract or bills for public utility charge.
- If the lease contract is under someone else's name, you need to submit the contractor's ID and the confirmation of residence form  as well)
  • ​Medical check-up report including the examination for tuberculosis issued from a neighborhood public health center (Changed since 2016.03.02.)​
[Only for those who are from 18 countries listed below] China, Sri Lanka, Russia, Uzbekistan, Thailand, Vietnam, India, Nepal, East Timor, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia
Please take a health examination at Gwanak-gu Community Health Center*

* Gwanak-gu Community Health Center: 145 Gwanack-ro, Gwanack-gu, Seoul (next to the Gwanackgu Office, walking distance from Gate no. 3 of Seoul National University Station)

Extending your stay (D-2 Visa extension)

To continue study or research without changing your activity at the College of Engineering SNU, you must apply for an extension of stay before your visa expires. You can apply for a student visa (D-2) extension from 4 months prior to the expiration date.
To apply for your visa extension, you can walk in the Seoul Immigration Office or apply through the online immigration system (
www.hikorea.go.kr -> E-application -> create your own account in hikorea). For online applications, the extension fee will be discounted 20% if your fingerprint is registered and your passport has never changed during your stay. Please remember that you will be responsible for a penalty if your application for extension is made after the expiration date.

Required Documents

  • Application form
  • A copy of your Passport (Page where date of birth and photo are printed )
  • 1 passport sized photo
  • Alien Registration Card (original and copy)
  • Certificate of Enrollment or Research Student Confirmation Form
  • Proof of bank account and necessary funds including tuition fee statement and proof of living expenses
  • Official transcript
  • Proof for current residence (confirmation for dormitory residence, lease contract, or bills for public utility charge. If the lease contract is under someone else's name, you need to submit that person's ID and the confirmation of residence form  as well)
  • Fee: KRW 60,000 in Revenue Stamps (수입인지) (Revenue Stamps are available at the bank and the Post Office) pasted onto the application form
  • Confirmation form for faculty advisor on a student’s thesis schedule  (Student only)
  • Other Additional documents that may be required by the Immigration Office.

Korean immigration service

If you need more information on the immigration procedures or other related issues, please contact the Korean Immigration Call Center.Services are provided in 18 different languages including English

  • Operating Hours: 09:00~18:00, Monday to Friday
  • Contact Information: (no area code needed) 1345 
  • (If you are calling from overseas) +82-1345 or +82-2-6908-1345~6
  • Web: www.hikorea.go.krwww.immigration.go.kr
Campus Life
Online Service